Email me if you have Questions:

Monday, July 26, 2010

SHIBUYA: L&L Hawaiian BBQ... wave Aloha as you walk on by. Japan foodie score a complete disaster!

L&L brings back memories of the small L&L BBQ No.2 shop in Pucks Alley.  You could always count on a hot tasty plate with lots of volume and generous portion of mac salad...

When I heard L&L opened up in Shibuya I had to take Mari to check out some plate lunches.  The image I had was from Hawaii... big volume, satisfying taste and reasonable prices.  These 3 things that define L&L.

 
We went for the Garlic Shrimp 850yen and Loco Moco 980yen. 

The 850yen Garlic Shrimp brought back memories of Kahuku shrimp on the North Shore.   I never saw this on the menu in Hawaii but it should be a big hit in Tokyo.

I greeted my  980yen Loco Moco with a smile because it was huge... but honestly I got bored with it after a few bites.  I think the only thing Hawaiian about this was the gravy.  Japanese make amazing hamburger steaks and the quality of the hamburger used here just can't compete.  If you want give it a try then go the the M size.

I'm a big fan of the BBQ Mix Plate but at 1,380yen ($15) it was a pass.  I think this store got the whole concept wrong by opening in prime Shibuya on 3 floors.  Japanese will go anywhere & wait in line if the food is good and fairly priced... but paying central Shibuya rents and trying to keep in the black by selling overpriced plate lunches, well.... Mari and I agree'd.... the fad will end and this place will not make it.  There are way too many alternatives for young money strapped consumers that define Shibuya.


If you miss Hawaii then you should check out Ogo's in Akasaka for lunch... it beats L&L hands down.  If you want a place to relax over a soda after a long day in Shibuya then check out L&L, the interior is comfy and the Hawaiian music is soothing.  The next time I visit L&L will be in Paradise.

SHOP: L&L Hawaiian Barbeque
Location: Shibuya
Address J: 東京都渋谷区宇多川町36-6 ワールド宇田川ビル 1F
Address E: Tokyo-to, Shibuya-ku, Udagawa-cho 36-6 (Recently Relocated to this spot).
MAP: 


大きな地図で見る

No comments:

Post a Comment