Email me if you have Questions:

Monday, February 25, 2013

SHIN OKUBO: Groupon is your friend at Little Korea's "Goon" (Military Base).

Even in Japan Groupon can be your friend in a land of great public transportation that leads to drinking a bit too much.  Found a great 4,500yen course deal with all-you-can drink for 1,900yen.  I used my US Paypal account so no worries if you don't have a Japan issued credit card. 

The name of the Korean restaurant "GOON" reminded me of the word "GUUN" or Military Base in Japanese... a term I have been very familiar with since childhood due to my summer vacations on Okinawa.

And when I entered it fell into place... this was a full on war-zone.  Really guys?  I can almost postively say that Shin-Okubo (Korea Town) is visited primarily by K-Pop and K-Drama loving Japanese ladies... But my Korean friend did mention that the popularity of this town has fallen so perhaps this new restaurant was trying to stand out.

My seat was right under the crotch of this full on gas masked terror.

Shop sure does like gas masks.

This was our full course... not quite what was pictured on Groupon but most of our damage was to come in the form of all-you-can drink.

Portion wise it was just enough but the munchies will definitely hit you a few hours later.  We were pretty much done with the meal in the 1st hour then the 2nd hour was devoted to trying out several different Mekchu's, Soju's and Beer.

The waiter helps out with the cooking.








Overall if I had to pay 4,500yen x 2 for this course then there is no way I'd be back because the volume seriously lacked if I'm paying nearly $100 for the meal... but at $20 or so a person with all you can drink then it was a great 2 hours of light eating and heavy drinking.  Interior was a dark depressing battlefield and I really don't think this interior will attract many women into becoming regulars... but the service was spot on great.

Thanks Groupon and good luck GOON!

Restaurant: Goon Korean Dining
Gnavi with Coupon: http://r.gnavi.co.jp/gcrg700/
Address J: 東京都新宿区大久保1-12-27
Address E: Tokyo, Shinjuku-ku, Okubo 1-12-27
MAP:

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment